Saturday, April 2, 2011

My first real long run . . . AWESOME!

I did it!!

Got my rear end out of bed and ran 17.6 miles before 8:00 a.m. I was so excited to actually do it that I was awake at 3:20 a.m. I had put my running clothes on when I got up at 2, just so I'd be ready. I was a little discouraged at 2 because it was raining outside. Not hard, which was good, but it was raining, and I had hoped it wouldn't be raining when I tackled my longest run ever.

I woke up at 3:20 and thought about staying in bed til 3:40, but I wanted to get out of the house by 4 and there were things to do, so I got up! I used the restroom leisurely, weighed myself (140.8), let Trigger out to pee, ate half a banana and drank the Gatorade Pre Workout drink (that's kind of disgusting and kind of good). Then I made myself a peanut butter and honey sandwich and packed all my stuff in my waist pack, put my rain jacket on, strapped on my Garmin and headed out the door. It was 4:05 a.m.

Amazingly it was NOT raining. Not only was it not raining, but the sky was clear and blue in spots and there were stars twinkling like a nice day may possibly be ahead of us. I ran a mile before I had to take my jacket off and tie it around my waist -- it was too warm for the jacket, but I wished that I had remembered to bring my gloves. I was carrying pepper spray in one hand and my Gatorade in the other hand and my hands were freezing. Throughout the run I would switch hands and they would warm up, but they were always cold. I will remember that next time.

I knew I wanted to at least run 16 miles. My longest distance to date was the half marathon 13.1. I figured 16 was a respectable number beyond 13.1 and I wanted to make it. I ran down Sunset to Murdock to Oregon to Tualatin Sherwood. I had just run this way a few days ago and knew if I turned left at Tualatin Sherwood I could make 8 miles by the time I got back to my house. I had considered just running that loop twice to make my 16, but when I neared the intersection I realized I hated that idea. Chances were really very good that after the first loop I'd take my happy ass into the house and forego loop 2, so I turned right and headed to Tualatin.

I kept thinking "you just need to run about 4.5 miles in this direction and then you will be at 8 and you can turn around and head home, sure to hit 16" but 4.5 miles proved to be a lot farther than I thought it was. I ran all the way into Tualatin and then made my way past REI and Whole Foods and into Bridgeport (where there was not a soul at 5:30 a.m.)before the Garmin beeped that I had reached 8 miles so I could turn around and go back home. When I finallly got home I had logged 17.6 miles total in less than 4 hours. A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

I drank pretty much all of my Gatorade on the run, but I didn't eat anything and I felt pretty good. I had to pee around mile 11, but not so bad that I needed to stop before I got home - I was slow, not going to lie about that and I certainly did some walking, but I did it, 17.6 miles. All by myself -- no music in my ear, just my breathing, which I actually have started to enjoy listening too. My breathing tells me how hard I'm working and whether or not I need to slow down. I don't miss the music nearly as much as I thought I would. I actually had my ipod with me because I knew I'd still be out there when the sun came out, if I decided to listen to it, but I didn't. Just me and my breathing.

When I got home I stretched out and came in -- feeling elated at what I had done! It finally feels like a true fact that I can finish a marathon!! I mean after all, I only had less than 10 more miles to go (albeit the HARDEST 10 miles) and I would have run a marathon.

Took a nice hot shower, weighed myself again (139.0) posted my accomplishment on Facebook, ate a bowl of museli and almond milk and then ate my peanut butter and honey sandwich and here I am sitting here typing my blog entry. Really happy at what I've accomplished.

Got a day ahead of me. An appointment with Kenny at 1 (yay) and then the boys and I are going to go to the movies and then I'll come home and go to sleep for a while =) Thinking about lying down for an hour now, before I have to get ready to go see Kenny -- however, I am quite afraid that if I lay down for an hour I will not be able to get up due to stiffness -- but maybe not. I had two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to try to avoid that. Hopefully it'll work.

Alrighty -- first goal completed -- as I've said before I am very pleased with myself!! Awesome day!

Oh, and a week from today I'll be in San Francisco!! YIPPEE for me!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment