Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday is outta the way . . . .

I usually don't run on Mondays. I have a ton of excuses for not running on Mondays. All of them lame, but convenient. "It's the first day of the work week, I need my sleep" is the one I usually use when I turn over and reset the clock for 5:30. Today, however, I got my butt out of bed and went for a run.

This is especially noteworthy because my boys woke me up at midnight to have me set the oldest up with Netflix on his Xbox 360. See, their spring break had one more day so they could be up til all hours of the night without issue. So, they woke me at midnight and then again I woke up at 3 a.m. to find the youngest still up but "getting ready to go to sleep." I certainly expected my inner wimp to reach out and reset the clock. But she didn't do it!

Clock went off at 4:25 and I was up and out in 10 minutes flat. It was a glorious morning, not to cold (the school sign said it was 41 degrees)and of course there were very few people out. I thought I'd run my normal 45 minute run which amounts to about 4 miles give or take, but I surprised myself and extended the run and made it a nice and easy 6.05 miles in a little over an hour. I was pleased with myself and how good and pretty effortless the run seemed. I'm not fast by any means, but it still felt effortless and thats when I know I love running as much as I think I do.

After starting the day with a run, it's very hard for the day to be "bad!" This is the God's honest truth. It just can't be bad. When crappy things happen I'm able to say "well, at least I ran this morning." And everything is right in the world.

I love running.

Thinking about running long this coming Saturday morning. When I say "long" I mean longer than I've ever run at one time. For me that would be anything over 13.2 miles. If I had a specific goal I would say I would like to run 15 or 16 miles, but truthfully if I could run 14 I'd be happy. My mission between now and then is to find something to carry to fuel my body while I run OTHER THAN gatorade. Gatorade is so sugary and I just don't like it that much. If I don't find a suitable replacement I'll probably use Gatorade, but I'd rather not so I'm checking out the possibilities.

The idea of running long on Saturday is very exciting. . . I think I'm going to do it, now I just have to decide where to run. . .

Decisions, decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment